Wednesday 16 December 2009

Out of the Silent Planet - CS Lewis (Post 1)

I am rereading this, as I have been meaning to for a couple of years. It is quite old fashioned in style (hardly CS Lewis' fault given that he wrote years ago). I sometimes struggle to enjoy the books that I enjoyed when I was younger (Isaac Asimov for example), but I seem to be getting into this one. I enjoy the way that the author lets us see the struggles that are going on inside the hero's head.
So far, the hero (Ransom) has found himself on the planet Malacandra and has settled in with a native civilisation and is being astounded by the fact that beings different to him can also be intelligent and civilised. Ok, not quite so trivial as that, but I guess it's the bottom line.

[Charli, I know that compared to me you are an expert on CS Lewis - feel free to comment critically!!!]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that a fairly accurate impression -- you pick up different emphases to me, but I guess that's pretty normal. (I am always intrigued by the [a]morality of the scientists and by Ransom's dictionary.)

I think the way you can see inside Ransom's head is one of the strongest parts of the book, especially when Ransom seems near-perfect, but still regards himself as flawed. I might be jumping the gun a bit there, though.